Tuesday, June 13, 2006


You know I save keys. I quilt. Here’s something else. I have a thing about placemats and napkins. Here’s a placemat that is on my dining room table right now. There’s just something about walking up to a table that’s fixed up.

I remember when I was little. My Mother cooked roast beef and rice and gravy every Sunday after church. It was the one day we used cloth napkins. We had roast because it could be prepared ahead of time and warmed up. What is it about Sunday lunchtime--- you’re always starving.

I tried to carry on the tradition, but roast beef is not Eric favorite meal, we often sleep late, and I’m just not that organized. Most of the time we eat Sunday lunch out or have sandwiches. I don’t beat myself up about it. I realize that the time with family is much more important than the food on the menu.

We still use cloth napkins often. I make many of them (it’s my excuse for purchasing homespun fabric). I even go into stores and check the clearance aisle. Many times they have odd numbers of napkins remaining that are really inexpensive. They’re great for lining bread baskets or dinner for two.

We’re not even going to talk about saving trees, or eliminating trash, but my teenagers even note the cloth napkins, and seem impressed with the different napkins rings or the checked napkins on the supper table. Impressing a teenager – a feat in itself.

Yes – I realize—it’s probably just another excuse of mind to buy fabric--- but it’s a pretty good one.

Until tomorrow – live up today….

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

Oh, a woman after my own heart! I collect table linens, too -- they seem to make the meal a special occasion!
Jeanne