Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Over the weekend I completed my Mom’s “Springtime” Table runner.
I mailed it out on Monday. Odds are it won’t make it by Valentine’s Day, but at least my heart was in the right place. She can put in a Crock, or drape it over a basket. Neat lady. She’s can make something beautiful in ways I never think of.

No quilting last night. I had a meeting on Chelsey’s Spanish class field trip to Mexico. Looks like we’re pretty well set on that. I’m a little nervous, but it’s incredibly supervised, and she’ll learn tons.

It’s was –1 degree on the way to work this morning. It’s always dark on the trip. But even so, it’s funny how you pick out markers along the way. There are no streetlights until I get to the main highway. But there’s a house on the left hand side of the road--- just around a deep curve that always has an old man sitting at his kitchen table drinking his morning coffee. It’s a round kitchen table complete with a tablecloth. He’s there every morning. I drive by between 5:30 and 6:00 am. He’s up, looking at a newspaper from the day before. I count on him being there. I bet I could count on just one hand the number of times he hasn’t been in that chair, at that table. And if he’s not there—my heart jumps…and then I always exhale the next morning to find him sitting there.

Little things that make you slow down and think…

Gratitudes:
1. The family in the house on the left hand side of the road.
2. Homemade beef stew tonight for supper.
3. Lotion that softens dry hands…

12 comments:

Juliann in WA said...

Those school trips are so great - our daughter spent 3 months in Great Britain as part of her college work and she was such a different person after that - I never had the chance to "see the world" when I was young so I think it is great when kids get to do these things
Juliann

Gail said...

The quilt for Mom is very pretty, hope Chelsea has fun.

Gail said...

Whoops! Chelsey...sorry about that. My granddaughter is Kelsea (not Kelsey) that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!~

Angie said...

-1!! O.M.G. That is what I call REALLY cold!!! Love your Mom's Springtime tablerunner!

Libby said...

No matter what day it arrives, it will be like getting a hug in the mail - she'll smile all day.

Patti said...

What a perfect Valentine gift!

Quilts And Pieces said...

I love your little mile marker of the man drinking coffee reading the paper! That is a sweet story! Oh and Chelsea will have a great time on the trip and it will be good for her. I went when I was in college and I"m glad I did it then because now - life is just in the way.

Nancy said...

the runner is so pretty. You Mom will love it. At least I know MY Mom would have. :-)

CONNIE W said...

The colors in the runner are so pretty. Your mother will love it!
Conni Lu

Linda C said...

This really looks Valentine like with the soft pinks. Good job!

Clare said...

Beautiful quilt. Your Mother will love it.

Beemoosie said...

I love the table runner, such pretty colors!
I love your story about the man at his table w/his coffee!