Monday, December 30, 2013

Change of Quilt Plans...

While I would like to think Quilting was my "full-time" job. But I realize that I work 45-50 hours a week behind a desk in an office building. Though there's a quilt picture or two pinned on my partition and a fat quarter or two stacked on one desk corner ... I have to constantly focus with gratitude that the job supports my quilting habit...my quilting hobby.

That being said, I have been doing deep cleaning in my sewing room.  I worked like crazy to get 3 Christmas quilts made by the calendar date I knew 364 days ahead of time.  I worked diligently at cleaning because I wanted to start a new project for myself -- a reward for things gifted away.  I had even narrowed the project down to two quilts (narrowed down from about twenty!!!).

As I cleaned I started folding and re-folding fabric.  I thought about colors and that quilt I was about to begin.  And then my plans changed. I saw blocks that I had begun -- The deal I made with myself is they are made from my scrap box-exclusively.


After I get about 24 of these babies complete I want to purchase solid color fabrics for the sashing and borders--- just like my Grandmother used to make. A couple at a time-- they are real easy -- and I'll have a great piece.

Back to the new project.  I have this bucket list of Quilters that I want to make one of their patterns--- Some people have towns they want to visit. I have quilters and their patterns to make.  Lynda Hall is one of them. I had pinned this quilt a while back.

  She had even responded to the pin.  I told her that if I made one basket a month -- in 12 months I'd have the quilt done.  Her response---" I can't wait to see what you make! No pressure lol!!"  I saw that pattern Saturday and decided it was something was going to try this year. It was fabrics that are being pulled from the stash, so there's no added purchases....maybe a backing is the very distant future. It's one basket a month.  My own Block of the month plan.

Tonight I cut out triangles.  The thought of sewing them together makes me nervous.  Triangle are incredibly tough for me. The practice should do me good.

The best part of winter..... quilting.

5 comments:

Lori said...

That's a great quilt and a great plan! I did that last year (2013), but mine was 3 blocks a month up to 20 blocks and that gave me a chance to finish it before the end of the year.

Libby said...

You can do it. And I bet you will come to love triangles in the process.

Karen said...

Great plan and I'm with you - triangles and I aren't best of friends - but hey your going to get great practice making this quilt and your stepping out of your box - that's a good thing - hmmm maybe I'll try that to.
Happy New Year - Karen

Nancy E said...

The blocks you made are so pretty .... my kind of colors. I had forgotten that I have the Gathering Baskets pattern. It is one I want to make this year. Thanks for reminding me of the pattern.

Unknown said...

Lovely pattern and as you say take it a block at a time it's definitely achievable - love the flower up the side of the baskets too - all the best for 2014 Mel - enjoy your quilting, it's what keeps me sane at work too