Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Welcome 2013


Happy New Year....filled with all the hope and positive feelings one can possibly hold.  The year 2012 was not a bad one, but I have high hopes for this New Year.

I have decided to focus on the UFOs this year. Joining with Carrie, I have three projects targeted for January---pretty confident I can complete two of them.  I will start new ventures, but I am hoping  that I will lessen the UFOs.  My list is not that great.  I don't have the finances to hold onto too many things. 

The list will start  with the binding for my Hop To It Quilt.  I just have the handwork of turning the binding down...why haven't I already completed it????

Next is my Heart and Home Project.  I have borders, wool applique, quilting and a binding.  It's a big project but  hubby has some long hours predicted in January so if I can get the machine part done I absolutely love the wool handwork in the evenings.

My third is a nine patch project. It got placed on the 'back burner' because I didn't have border fabric.  I have the fabric now---and a backing.  Excuses are running out ....it's on January's list.

Last week I lost three elderly friends. I have hopes to make up a runner for each family--to take after life goes back to normal for everyone...everyone but the loved ones they were closest to.

One of the friends had not been ill.  I saw him at church and 3 days later he was gone.  There's a huge lesson here--One I want to focus on in the coming year.... Some things matter and some things just don't.  Focus on those things that really matter ...toss away the things that don't. Tell those that you love just that...that you love them.

Again ---Happy New Year.
 Welcome the new year 2013 with all it's possibilities.

10 comments:

Karen said...

You have a plan and goals. Me, I am winging it for this month. Too much going on to be able to accomplish a lot. I gave thought to Carrie's UFO plans but it sounds like you would be doing only UFO's and I can't do that. I have some quilts that need to be created. One because I said I would and others because my mind is whirling with ideas.

Mrs. Sew and Sew - Karen said...

Happy New Year Mel.

Kindred Quilts said...

You have three wonderful projects to finish in January... l really like the Nine Patch! Have fun with them!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Mel! Great achievable goals. Love your projects and can't wait to see them finished. You always inspire me to take a look inward and remember what is important in life and not focus on the other 'stuff'.

Linda said...

Gorgeous projects!!!!! Happy New Year! :-)

Angie said...

Happy New Year, Melanie---Love the quilts you have lined up to finish. You know, we all only have this one day...now if we can just learn to live it as if it's our last one. Hugs

antique quilter said...

I am so sorry to hear of your loss of friends so close together. nice of you to make the family a gift.
I like the idea of finishing up some ufo's thats on my list this year too as well as using what I have as much as I can. I will piece backs even! My biggest goal is to get thru the scrap basket and bins
I forsee a lot of donated quilts again this year.!
I am with you enjoy every day and don't sweat the small stuff.
thats my goal this year...just enjoy each day
kathie

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

You are so right, Melanie - we MUST tell those we love, and often. Life is uncertain, and it is good to remember that good things were said and done before it was too late.
You have some mighty pretty projects that are well along the way to completion. Good work!

Anonymous said...

You are so close to great finishes! Happy New Year!

Carrie P. said...

Happy New Year!
I say Amen to the last part of your post. So sorry to hear about your friends.
I think you have some great quilting goals for this month. Be sure to link up to my blog.