Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Pottery Barn-- Sort of....


Here's the Pottery Barn Photo.... It's called a Silverware Stocking.  I don't know if it was the holder or the plaid plate under it but I was completely charmed.  They were $29.00 for 4.  In the shape of a sweater stocking,  I rarely having just four at a 'deck-out' meal.  I refused to let go of the money.

Off I went to Goodwill.  For ninety-nine cents I brought home this and went to work.
The sweater was turned into 13 sweater pouches.  Squared off.  They aren't stocking shape where I could even use them for Valentine's Day or in the Fall with leaves tucked in.


I love the idea of making something for almost nothing.  I cut the sweater pieces 7.5 by 6.5 and stitched into a pocket shape.





16 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

I love thrift store variations on an expensive theme! Wonderful!

Carrie P. said...

you are so smart. love your version.

Shakerwood said...

This is a dang cute idea! You're a dang genius!!

Darlene said...

Wow, Melanie, they are adorable. Love the tags, too. I'm super impressed.

Bonnie K said...

You are slick! Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Kindred Quilts said...

I like your pocket shape better than the sock shape. You should put your version on Pinterest! So cute!

Linda said...

You are a genius!!! That looks awesome!

Lindah said...

You are so clever! Love that place setting.

antique quilter said...

adorable good for you! what a great solution
I love those!
Kathie

Karen said...

Now that's creative and thrifty. Like one of the decorating shows where the person picks out a room picture in a magazine that costs many thousands of dollars to duplicate. The designer shows you how to get the same look for less money.

Phyllis in Minnesota said...

Soooo cute!! Isn't it wonderful when you can replicate an item for 1/10th the price? Keep up the good work and enjoy the process.

Angie said...

Brilliant!! :)

Carol said...

I LOVE them...what a clever girl!

LuAnn said...

I just love it, and your table setting is just as elegant as the Pottery Barn photo.

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

The perfect find at Goodwill! I often "shop fabric" (and buttons) at thrift stores. There is 1 store that my sister and I love that have a $1 bag sale 2X a year - whatever you can fit in a big brown paper bag costs $1. We brought my son this year - he was protesting that he did not want to go to a "bag sale", only because he did not know what it was. He loaded up on knick-nacks, puzzles, key chains, odd things that only a 9 year old boy could love! He can't wait for the next one. I will keep a look out for a sweater to do such a great project with! Cheers! Evelyn

Carole said...

Cute! Works for me! Lovely table setting! Oh, the tag is sweet! Thanks for sharing! Cheers!