Saturday, January 26, 2013

A Gift....

Sometimes even staged photography can't help... well it helps a little....


I had studied the Pinterest photo for days.  It was the small piece I wanted to make for a friend who had lost her Mother-in-law recently.  I picked out fabrics I loved -- that favored her home.  I started working on it evenings after work a week ago-- coming down with that cold. Big Mistake, but I really had planned well, 

When it came time to connect the blocks I couldn't assemble them.  Things just didn't fit. I had no more fabric like this.

 I even brought Don in on it.  Finally we compromised and this is what we came up with:

" Mel, she can put a basket or a bowl of something in the middle.  It'll be fine..."  


I was disappointed    It wasn't very pretty, but I wanted her to know how I hurt for her loss and so I plugged away. Maybe the piece will look better quilted.  It wasn't until I was half way through quilting it that I looked under my sewing machine and found six missing blocks. Great.

It may not be the 'Blue Ribbon' piece I had hoped for, but I still want her to know how I feel.  Her Mother-in-law passed away right after Christmas--Everyone's lives have gone back to  normal...except theirs.  Her family lost someone they really loved.  I'm tying it up---With my own Blue Ribbon and giving it to her tomorrow....


7 comments:

Carol said...

And she will love it...

Mrs. Sew and Sew - Karen said...

Mel, I am always touched by your caring giving heart! She will treasure it! :-)

Cornbread and Beans Quilting said...

She will love it, and more importantly she will feel loved by you!!!

Angie said...

As the others have said already, she will love it. I know I would be so touched...

Kindred Quilts said...

You are very kind hearted. Your friend will appreciated your thoughtfulness.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

She will love it and you! We are a lot harder on ourselves than anyone else ever is.

antique quilter said...

oh its wonderful don't fret she will love it I am sure
and you know what it comes from the heart and what could ever be better. Its so nice that you thought of her and that will touch her in a way you probably know and mean more to her then anything.
Kathie