Sunday, January 20, 2013

January Word Play


It's not just a Photo...It really is winter.. It's six degrees out side and I'm stuck with--- you guessed it, a horrible cold. I did get out last evening and fill my car up before the temperatures dropped.  The high temperature this week is about 17 degrees. I walked into church long enough to drop of my Sunday school class material and let someone know they needed to get someone to teach. I had such high hopes for the weekend with quilting plans, but in the end I need to be grateful I had the time home to recuperate. 

  The photo is my current hand project.  It's Word Play by Brenda Gervais.  This is my first attempt at working with linen. I'm still really slow, but I think it's something that gets better with practice (and not having your nose in Kleenex constantly.)



Here's my mantle for January and February.  The grapevines are from my new secret source I harvested this fall.  

I did have a small scare Friday night.  A Propane leak where the propane enters the house lines.  I called my propane guy-- Friday after 5 pm... he came out and repaired it.  Be aware of your surroundings-- any changes to smells or the way things look. I dodged a lot of problems.

14 comments:

Shakerwood said...

Isn't it horrible having a winter cold?! There is so much to do and you feel like doing none of it! Hope you feel better soon .... spring is right around the corner!

Carol said...

Oh poo! Feel better soon...but for now, enjoy your stitching time with your pups next to you keeping you warm. Take good care! So glad you caught the leak...that could have been soooooooooo bad.

Mrs. Sew and Sew - Karen said...

Oh Mel. I am sorry to hear you have a cold. My doctor told me to drink black tea (hot or cold). It does seem to help me. Get well soon! Sending up a prayer of healing for you. Hugs, Karen

Karen said...

Sorry to hear you are feeling puny. One thing about having retired is that I am not around a bunch of people every day. I haven't caught a cold in a good long while.

Oh, I have been so tempted by those Word Play patterns. I have looked at them online several times but resisted.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Oh, Melanie, I'm sorry about the cold, but so glad you caught that propane leak before something bad happened. Glory to God!

Kindred Quilts said...

It's no fun missing days of quilting and/or cross stitching because of a bad cold, especially when it's so cold outside. Hope you feel better soon! I have done one of Sandy's Word Plays (October) and am working on another (December). I really like working on linen, but I simply must sit under my Ott light so I can see what I'm doing! Have fun with it!

Angie said...

Love your Jan/Feb mantel. You're so lucky to have a 'secret source' for the vines. :) So glad you noticed the gas and had it fixed so quickly.

antique quilter said...

hope you feel better soon. good for you relaxing over the weekend .
your right you always have to be cautious and aware of your surroundings..
thank good ness you caught this and he came right out.

will have to look up word play
I have a thing for words!
Kathie

Siobhán said...

I hope you're feeling better soon! I swear by Zicam, if you can get some. I love your Word Play! I'm having such fun working on these, too.

Gypsy Quilter said...

My favorite cure all when I'm having sinus / cold issues is hot and sour soup from my favorite Chinese restaurant. If that's not possible, I buy a product sold in Wal-Mart in the Chinese stir fry section. It's a type of ramen soup with a bright orange package. Very spicy and it helps a lot! Feel better soon!

Cornbread and Beans Quilting said...

Your mantel looks awesome!! I love it. What a good score on the vines. I know what you mean about stitching on linen, I thought I would go blind when I first used it. You're right though it does get easier as you go along and there is nothing better than those tiny stitches on linen.
Get well soon!

Carolyn said...

I love your mantel, it's just beautiful. I hope you recover quickly, feel better!

McIrish Annie said...

Hope you are feeling better soon and that the temperature rises to a reasonable number as well. how does 32 sound? balmy! lol

Laura said...

We are suffering that same cold down here in Indiana. Scary about the leak, so glad you caught it in time.