Wednesday, March 02, 2011

The Last Block

Finishing up the last stitches on the last block of the My Garden Quilt. Every time a worked on a block I was convinced I wouldn’t love the next block as much.
 I was wrong each time. I have had such fun. I received the borders this weekend…
I’m really nervous about them. I don’t think I would have ever picked them out myself, but I’ve never seen an ugly quilt from Primitive Gatherings so I’ll keep you posted.


I’m auditioning fabrics for my friendship project for the coming year. I’ve admired the blocks from Linda, The Quilted Pineapple. I read about Edyta Sitar and wanted to make the quilt.
 I didn’t think I could tackle the quilt on my own, so a couple of friends and I are getting together for encouragement. Anyone who wants to join in, we’d love to have you.
The Hop to it book – I found on Amazon and took it to the office supply store and had the spirals put in it. Edyta has great photos in the book along with lesson in fabric choice and techniques. The book itself is great therapy for anyone.

I couldn’t spring for a Quilt kit –plus the spirit of the project is how each of us see the quilt…one block at a time. I purchased a couple of homespun fat quarters, but I’m going to the stash for the rest. We’re going to do one block a month so we have time to do other things and if we’re pressured, we’ve decided it wouldn’t be fun.

I’m taking the homespun-woolen approach to the pattern. I’m using DMC floss unless I happen to have pearl cottons. After working all day, I love pulling the basket out for handwork.

It was the warmest day of the year--- so far. A whopping 48 degrees.

11 comments:

Karen said...

I've been watching Linda's progress on her blocks also. You and your friends have chosen a super project to work on. I have too many irons in the fire to join in but I will enjoy seeing your progress. I hope you will show your friend's blocks too.

The Calico Cat said...

Those border prints look Taupe-y - (as does that block - especially the background) so it will HAVE to be lovely!

Angie said...

I've loved watching your progress with these blocks, Melanie. I love the wool on cotton....and I WANT that Edyta Star(?) book NOW.....LOL
I love the choices you've chosen to start it with too.

Linda said...

Oh your Edyta quilt is going to be gorgeous! It's so nice that you'll be making it with friends too! I love very page of that book. That was so smart that you had the book rebound. It'll be so much easier to copy the appliqué shapes to the fusible. Also, not sure if you already do this, but make sure you size the background fabric really well. Can't wait to see your progress! :-)

McIrish Annie said...

I;m with you. I love plopping in front of the tv with handwork after a long day. It's the perfect way to end a day, good or bad!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Melanie, you make such beautiful things, and I have to say - you're a lot braver than me. I tend to stick to the things that are easy. Love that block at the top of your post.

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

I got my book today! I'll get an email out to you and Sue; I'm ready to go!

Anonymous said...

Love your garden block! How cute! Can't wait to see it all finished. And you have some great selections made for your new project....wish I lived closer!

Anonymous said...

Love your garden block! How cute! Can't wait to see it all finished. And you have some great selections made for your new project....wish I lived closer!

deb said...

LOVE the block..and you are so right about Primitive Gatherings!!! dont ya just LOVE wool!!!!!!!

Carrie P. said...

OH, your quilt is going to look great in the wools. I love working with wool too. Have fun making this quilt. I am in a group and we are making the quilt too. You can see some our blocks on my blog.