Thursday, March 31, 2011

From My Garden Block One

I started to write that it all began with a quilt pattern by Edyta Sitar--but truthfully it began with two friends that I have never met.  Swapping comments, emails, and fabrics-- a 'kid' story or two, we became friends. I guess our faith, our weather, and our quilting are what we have in common. So Mary, Sue and I began our project this month and agreed to show how we create each block from our own fabrics on the last day of each month.
The first block is a Heart.  It fits with the grapevine heart that hangs next to my garden gate.
I've also wanted to journal the pieces of a quilt, so this is my chance. I'm saving swatches of each block, why I chose pieces of fabric, cataloguing life that month, My Garden for the next twelve months.



Winter is trying to let go. We had a winter storm that came with warnings 3 days in advance.  It made me a little skittish---but it's just snow... and in the end we got about 4 inches of the stuff. I guess I need to relax.

Life is Good....

15 comments:

Angie said...

What a lovely way to hold on to the actual process of making your quilt. :) I love that first block too.

Unknown said...

Gorgeous block Melanie, and such a wonderful way of remembering the process,not only for yourself but for those who follow.

Paula said...

Love the block and the journal as well. Great idea.

Darlene said...

Enjoying the process while enjoying the journey - perfect Melanie. Your block is beautiful - I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Karen said...

I read about your new adventure on Sue's blog. How nice to share the adventure with two long distance friends. I always enjoy how you take a picture of your work outdoors in an interesting setting. In fact, I look forward to that. The journal is a wonderful idea for the project.

Stina Blomgren said...

Have fun making new lovely blocks for this lovely quilt!!!
Love your first block...

journeying said...

You are just the coolest!

Julie Fukuda said...

It will be a years worth of fun just watching you guys. I almost wish I had the pattern and could join in.

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

I knew it! I'd see your blocks and love them completely. Just beautiful work, and your post is so touching.

And the journal - I didn't understand what you were talking about until I saw your post. Excellent, excellent, excellent.

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

beautiful work...and a belated happy birthday, Tracey

Sandy said...

Your blocks are cute, are you using a kit or book? Journaling is a good idea - I've taken pics but now reealize I should have included fabric swatches..

Linda said...

Oh it's just beautiful, Melanie!

Greenmare said...

oh this is very very lovely!!! your block is beautiful and your journal is GREAT!

Carrie P. said...

Just came from Sue's blog and your block is so pretty. I love the way you are journaling about the making of this quilt.
I am also working on this same quilt. I have the first three blocks done. I am in a group that is doing it together.
Have fun.

Lorraine said...

what a lovely block...and a great idea to journal about the making of the quilt....! Winter is not wanting to let go in your part of the world. We are enjoying the lovely cool mornings/evenings and sunny days that Autumn brings.....very livable!