Thursday, August 05, 2010

120 Blocks

Lazy days of summer… I have more free time than I’m use to. But I’m staying busy. Being a list maker, I have to account for my day. I never want a day wasted. My Garden Shoes:





Yesterday I pulled a project out of my quilt cabinet. Resurrecting it from last year, I’m completing it for Eric. I have 120 blocks completely finished. While the blocks separately don’t give a picture, placed together you get an idea where the Miss Rosie’s Scrappy Stars Quilt is growing to. It has not one but two pieced borders after the blocks are placed together.


I think about why it got placed in the back of the cabinet. I got it cut out and the half square triangles made. But there’s many steps and things needed to be kept in order at a time when my life seemed to really be in disarray.

Hope fully next post you’ll see the progress. I have a chance to go to a quilt shop next week, but on a tight budget now---- I can really justify backings on sale.



Post over…. The remaining lines are reminders to myself that I’m not Wasting my time even though there is not a dollar figure associated with the minutes of my day. Sounds stupid, but when you’ve worked outside the home for years your mind can play tricks on you.

1. I’m studying on autism. There a child at church that We don’t want to fall through the cracks. I’ve never had the time to do the research to reach out a special needs kid and now I do.

2. Friends with surgery recovery….I’ve had a chance to visit weekly and have never really invested in relationships until now.

3. When you have the time to economize you really can.

4. With all the fresh produce coming in----I have the time and energy to cook and enjoy it like never before.

5. Focus on my bible---Reminds me of the good things.

6. Next week I can get back to exercising.

15 comments:

Darlene said...

Wonderful blocks for a beautiful quilt.

Enjoy every day!

Loris said...

Great post! I love the garden shoes and the scrappy stars. I can see why you would need a clear mind to work on it! It's going go be beautiful.
Good thoughts about what you are doing. Some things add more meaning and reward than usually accounted for.

Lorraine said...

Looks like you are making excellent use of your unexpected free time.....haven't had a chance to catch up for a while - love your garden shoes!!....oh and the baby quilt with the ruffles is so cute! Loved the story on using the ruffler foot as well!

Deb said...

Those blocks are going to look fabulous, loving the colour combination. And as for your gardening shoes, wow spots, they are me down to the ground, love them!!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Those blocks are SO petty. I like the colors.

Rhonda said...

I love,love,love your list. I recently entered the full time employment thing. I remember the feeling of the no dollar amount for my time. I read a series of frugal books and she stressed the importance of giving a dollar amount to time. Time for all the economical things you are doing. It was really helpful.

Those gardening shoes are are fab. They match the colors in the quilt.

Blessings,
Rhonda

Lindah said...

Love the reds in your blocks.

Beautiful items on your list of reminders.

An observation: Isn't it ironic how it works out that when one has the time to shop, one doesn't have the money to shop! :-P

Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Love the contrast to the fabrics. This is going to be sharp!

When I am worrying about all that has been happening around me, I try to remember some of the inspiring things you say and the way you handle challenges. Thank you!

Ila K. said...

Kudos to you for studying up. Sunday school was a disaster for my youngsters with autism. You are already ahead of the curve.

I love those blocks!

Stina Blomgren said...

Happy to see you sewing like a wind..:o)) Lovely things in the making at your place...
Keep on ejoying your days!!

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

I remember when you cut the fabric for this quilt! It looks like another winner - as usual.

Still praying for you and Don. Job withdrawal is difficult; hang in there.

Mrs. Sew and Sew - Karen said...

Oh, I remember when you started Eric's quilt. It is going to be a beauty. You are accomplishing so much with your time. I have started exercising but can't say I have sewn anything to speak of now. Thinking of starting a new "little" project tomorrow if time allows. Take care, Kare

Carol said...

What pretty blocks! Enjoy your days Mel! Sending you lots of good thoughts!!

Jodi Nelson said...

I am in love with your garden shoes! LOL ;o) ooxx

Sandy said...

After several months, I finally found your blog again. You're the reasson I started blogging almost a year ago..so glad to "talk" to you again..Have a blessed day.....