Thursday, January 01, 2009

Happy New Year! I sit back early this morning and think about the coming year filled with tons of opportunities. I’ve sat here and thought about 2008 and the many changes as both our kids flew the nest off to college. I guess in the coming year I’m hoping for quiet confidence and contentment for both myself and my adult kids.

We had tons of fun last night with friends bringing in the New Year. We’ve all been married about the same number of years. Our kids grew up together and so kids popped in and out throughout the evening for food and visits. I am usually working so I’m stretching it to bring a dish to things like this. But in honor of my week home I did something I’d always wanted to do. I made a hostess gift to bring.
I pulled fabric from my shelves made a journal cover and gift bag to take. The party was at the home of a new quilter so it was a great conversation piece throughout the night.
She’s really not the plaid - homespun kind of person I am. It was a tough call to pick out fabric. I opted for the black and white and was real pleased with how it turned out.

It always feels good to give quilted things away….

I hope the New Year brings that sense of contentment and the faith to see life’s happenings as opportunities for good things.

I try to remember that “Life isn’t necessarily about the cards in your hand--- you can’t help that---- It’s how you play them that makes the difference…..”

Deal me in for 2009…….

16 comments:

Carol said...

What a great gift! Thanks for another very thoughtful post. I'm in for 2009! Have a very Happy New Year!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Happy New Year to you! That toile on the notebook cover looks GREAT!

Paula said...

Black and white toile is just so classic. I love both!!! Happy New Year.

Karen said...

I love toile and the black and white gives it a more sophisticated look.
I enjoy reading your blog!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to you! The toile is fabric worked wonderfully for that gift bag! Lucky hostess!

Pat said...

Oh so true! You made a lovely gift. I am sure your friend loved it. Happy New Year!

Gypsy Quilter said...

What a lovely gift and the card is beautiful too. How did you do that?

rachel griffith said...

happy new year!!!
love the black & white.

Journeying said...

Neat idea! And who wouldn't like toile? I'm sure a new quilter would have loved it even in homespun...actually, any hostess would love it - hostess gifts just aren't the norm anymore, and to receive a handmade gift - wow! It looks great.
Happy New Year!

Libby said...

What a perfect hostess gift. Hope that '09 is your best year ever *s*

julieQ said...

What a fun gift. I hope you have a wonderful New Year!

Julia said...

Happy new year!!!
love the black & white bag...very elegant!

Deborah said...

Very pretty. I love the colors. I bet she loved it.

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

That is a fabulous gift, i love the balck and white toile...you are welcome at New Year's at my house any time! lol!!
Happy new year, Tracey

Diane Fay (littlealma) said...

CUUUTTTEEEE quilting gifties! Hope you have a great 2009 - and I am turning into a pumpkin along with you tomorrow - but I am just going to start putting stuff away, wish me luck! I would much rather read blogs! (smile!)

Hugs from Diane from Michigan

Willow Lake Stitches said...

I love that. . . deal me in for 2009. . . nice sentiment !

Great blog, it's fun to see what you are doing, and what nice gifts to give to a new quilter! I'm sure she will be inspired.

Happy New Year !

Beth