Sunday, January 12, 2014

Leftovers---

Half-square triangles leftover from my star blocks and trimmings from backings of Christmas quilts have become a tabletop piece for my kitchen.  I'm kicking Christmas decorations out and sprinkling in some Valentine hearts.  This piece will fit in perfectly. Shoo-fly blocks are awesome.

The pups and I have been snow-shoeing twice a day since the Polar Vortex with 25 degree below zero temps has passed.  It's amazing how warm 27 degrees can feel. We have a pellet stove in our basement.  It keeps things cozy in the winter time.  I've become a pro at starting it.  Ours does not have an igniter so it's done the old fashioned way -- as old fashioned as pellet stoves get.

I'm not ready for the weekend to close but I guess it has to in order to get another one.


6 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

this might sound stupid - but what is a pellet stove? it sounds mighty good for heat as I know how cold you guys get up there! is it economical as well?

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

I like your table topper. And I really like using up leftovers! I cannot even imagine that cold. Don't want to, to tell the truth. And I am not familiar with a pellet stove either.

Carol said...

What a wonderful quilt! 27 degrees is way too cold for this Florida girl...can't imagine colder! Brrrrr!

Gypsy Quilter said...

Wow, another finish. You're definitely ahead of me this winter.

Unknown said...

I love shoo-fly blocks too - relatively simple but they look so good

Karen said...

The left over pieces made a nice neutral looking quilt. I just keep adding left overs to the scrap basket. They don't disappear fast when I am using them for little applique pieces.