Sunday, January 12, 2014

Leftovers---

Half-square triangles leftover from my star blocks and trimmings from backings of Christmas quilts have become a tabletop piece for my kitchen.  I'm kicking Christmas decorations out and sprinkling in some Valentine hearts.  This piece will fit in perfectly. Shoo-fly blocks are awesome.

The pups and I have been snow-shoeing twice a day since the Polar Vortex with 25 degree below zero temps has passed.  It's amazing how warm 27 degrees can feel. We have a pellet stove in our basement.  It keeps things cozy in the winter time.  I've become a pro at starting it.  Ours does not have an igniter so it's done the old fashioned way -- as old fashioned as pellet stoves get.

I'm not ready for the weekend to close but I guess it has to in order to get another one.


6 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

this might sound stupid - but what is a pellet stove? it sounds mighty good for heat as I know how cold you guys get up there! is it economical as well?

Muddling Through said...

I like your table topper. And I really like using up leftovers! I cannot even imagine that cold. Don't want to, to tell the truth. And I am not familiar with a pellet stove either.

Carol said...

What a wonderful quilt! 27 degrees is way too cold for this Florida girl...can't imagine colder! Brrrrr!

Gypsy Quilter said...

Wow, another finish. You're definitely ahead of me this winter.

anne bebbington said...

I love shoo-fly blocks too - relatively simple but they look so good

Karen said...

The left over pieces made a nice neutral looking quilt. I just keep adding left overs to the scrap basket. They don't disappear fast when I am using them for little applique pieces.