Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Dyed Threads---

Coffee is serious business in our house. It's not just the coffee taste...It's the quantity(we have a 14 cup pot that gets used mulitple time in a day) it's the flavored creme---- and it's the fact that it's our time together...
I was home alone and had a half a pot left.  I had forgotten and made a full pot last Friday.  Sitting there staring at the pot...not too impressed about wasting it I decided to try it.  I pulled some DMC floss colors I didn't think I would  use. I made sure I could show you before and after. I let the threads soak for about an hour. I left the paper on the skeins.  I don't know that I would use these threads on something that will get washed over and over again, but I love the look.  I even tested the threads as for as threading needles and gliding in fabric.  The threads passed with flying colors.
So for those girls that can't make it to the store every time you need a color---get creative.

I try to get this finished for Christmas.  Fail.  I tried to finish it for out of town company the third week in January. Fail.  The moral is that sometimes you just need to finish things for the love of finishing them.  Do it for yourself and no one else.... Here's my finish.  A free pattern to be framed.

5 comments:

Carol said...

Love your cardinal...what a great idea to take that brightness out of the floss...what a clever girl you are!

Libby said...

What a great idea to get the floss colors you need . . . . a plan for me, for sure!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Who knew? And don't you love it when you make a happy little discovery like that!

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

I love the coffee stained floss idea! If I ever get caught up on my unfinished projects, I would like to experiment with staining floss and making something for a frame. Good one!

Audrey said...

Great idea for your floss! I love the overdyed flosses, but boy! are they expensive.