Saturday, May 18, 2013

Tulip Basket...

It started with this...

A Pattern(that has since been chewed up by Ripley). I made it for my Mom a couple of Christmas's ago.  I loved it-- Bought it as a kit.  But it was small by my standards.

 I got this great Idea about blowing it up to 125% size and making one for myself.  That's what I did.  But when it came time to up a 16 x 24 pieces of wool for the background-- I just couldn't do it.  Call me cheap...but I couldn't.  Plus I was afraid my version may fail... So I took another approach:


I really like it.  It gives me hand stitching at night when I'm too tired too work on the machine.  I haven't decided whether I am going to cut, curve or scallop the ends-- but I really like the difference.


7 comments:

Kindred Quilts said...

I love your background... how creative! Enjoy your nights of hand stitching!

Karen said...

I know exactly what you mean about those large pieces of wool for background. Can be a bit pricey. You can also use flannel for the background. I have a big quilt kit (which I haven't made) which uses flannel. And I like to use cottons for the background depending on how I will use the piece.

Linda said...

I love it!!!! That is such a great idea!!! Smart girl! :-)

Anonymous said...

It looks wonderful! I know what you mean about the wool. I usually end up using flannel!

Vicki said...

Very creative!

Vicki said...

Very creative!

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

Cute, cute, cute!!! I have such trouble with my ideas and not following a pattern (or a recipe). I lack confidence in myself, I guess. But this is a nice switch-up, and I think you've come up with a winner!