Sunday, December 11, 2011

Lesson for Quilters.....


Ransom and Bruno posing for the Christmas card photo opp.  We almost lost Bruno this fall. I look at this photo and think-- wow, he might not have been in this photo.  Bruno is the pup Chelsey brought home.  She was going through alot-- our whole family was and it was a "coping" thing for her-- for all of us.  We nicknamed him "therapy" because he truly is just  that.  We laugh and say-- She could have brought home a baby-- it was just a pup...life goes on.

I was getting ready to go to my third class.  I brought my suitcase up and Bruno  tucked his tail and went and sat in his box.  Ransom and he were going to the kennel-- doggie camp we call it.  Ransom loves it so I know it's a good place.  Bruno just doesn't like change.  I called Chelsey and told her  that her pup was spoiled just like she was.  I laughed and continued packing.

Chelsey said, " No Mom, something is wrong -- I just know it.  I'm coming home and I'll taking them to the kennel."

"Suit yourself.  I have to go to class. Don's out of town. You can't have pups in your  apartment."

I finished packing and headed to church.

When I got home, Chels was there.  laughing--- saying , "Mom, maybe he is a little spoiled."  We had lunch and I headed to Madison.

Two hours into the trip, Chelsey called, Hysterical.." Mom, there's something wrong with Bruno you have to come home. Bruno is crying when he has to poop..."

Great -- a constipated Chiwawa/terrier. 
"Chelsey-- call the vet.  It's Sunday.  You'll have to leave an emergency message and they will call you back.You can do this."

"Mom, I hate you right now."

She called the vet. They thought she was as ridiculous as me, but agreed to meet her at the office.

They examined him and realized he had swallowed a thread and needle and it had gotten lodged in his rectum.  Yep....They apologized to Chelsey for labelling her as overprotective and removed it and gave him antibiotics and paid meds.  He could have died. It could have punctured his insides. She took Ransom to the kennel and smuggled Bruno to her apartment for 3 days until I got home.

I felt horrible.  But honestly, I probably would not have reacted as quickly as she did.
Lessons for quilters:  Count your needles - wow...

I had been doing the cellphone thing letting Don know what was going on.

"Mel, she knows not to spend 2000 dollars on the pup.  I mean, we love Bruno and all, but there are limits, you know."
"Don, don't go there right now.  Let me deal with it.  It's not the time for that right now."

After everyone's blood pressure went down.  I quietly asked Chelsey about the bill.  I had told her to put it on the credit card.  She said it was $262.00.

I decided texting it to Don was the best way to ease the "ouch" of the bill.

His response texted back to me:

" H e ' s    c o m p l e t e l y    w o r t h    i t. . . "

I smiled.


11 comments:

Angie said...

This picture is adorable of those two furbabies. :) And they ARE totally worth it---even in hard times, if we can just figure out how to 'make it work'. I'm so happy all turned out well; I worry about my two getting a needle that I didn't know I had dropped. Vet Bill %$$$ Love and Devotion *** Priceless *** Happy Holidays Mel

Darlene said...

I can well imagine how worried Chelsey was and I'm thrilled everything worked out. Those little guys do have a way of occupying a special spot in our hearts.

Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Libby said...

Bruno is a lucky pup in many many ways *s*

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, thank goodness everything worked out! After losing my little Chloe in spring, I know how those close calls can end up being and I am glad yours had a happy ending :o)

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

They are like more children in the house. Thank God the bill was only that much.

deb said...

wow...so happy Bruno is alive and well...and geez I wanna come to YOUR vet....last fall when I almost lost my chihuahua, the bill ended up at 4 grand.........plus another 1200 a year for insulin...holy moly....gotta love your vet!!!!!

The Calico Cat said...

Thanks for making me cry & keep that vet!

We do love our furry kids don't we. Especially when Jacob pets RB... (Jacob even knows when he gets a quick look from the cat to stop what ever he was doing - even if he was "pet nice.")

Cornbread and Beans Quilting said...

Dogs are one of God's very best inventions!!! Give Bruno and kiss for me. Good dog. =)

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Well, bless his heart! We have to keep those Bruno's alive, don't we?

Mo said...

I just kept reading faster and faster to see what happened! Glad your pooch is OK after the great swallowing of the needle and thread. Three cheers for your vet.

Stina Blomgren said...

Ahhh... my goodness that was a close call...sooo happy everything turned out just fine..:O)
And I will worry about the needles all day"! :O)
MerryChristmas to you and your family!!!