Sunday, April 18, 2010

My Weekend....

My weekend just wasn’t long enough. But I guess you worry about people say, ”Gee, I wish the weekend would hurry up and end…..” I’ve been working on my punchneedle project. It’s almost complete. Pictures coming soon.



Projects for the weekend…I’m always seeing those mismatched placemats. There’s got to be something to make with them. So I found a $2.00 bargin and made a case to keep my punch needle stuff in. I like it.

Don gave my sewing machine really well. It needed it badly. I was a nervous wreck while he worked on it, but I wouldn’t have trusted to anyone else. She’s back in service, purring like a kitten.

My birthday presents…I bought these mugs for myself. I love the birds. I got a set of four on sale.

My sister in law gave my quilt money and I purchased Summer Gatherings. There are several small projects in the book. I have no stash of wool fabrics..they’re pricey and I’ve been hesitant to commit. But I’m in love with the ease of them. I’m even kicking around taking a class to learn all the tricks using them. I got a small bag of scraps. Here’s hoping they’ll be used for pin cushions, journal covers, postcards, and a table runner or two. Honestly, I could just stack and fold and restack them and have fun doing it.

The skies have been beautiful, but the winds have been howling. Today things settled down and I worked on a project for Chelsey after church. She purchased a table and four chairs for $40.00. I finished the table—forgot to snap a photo. But I did get one of the mismatched chairs done. Should have gotten a before picture. Don added a couple of staples and a little wood glue. I found the fabric at Walmart – the only place in town to find any fabric at all. I think it turned out pretty darn cute….

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brilliant idea to use a quilted placemat for a tote. It is quite pretty.

Gypsy Quilter said...

What a cute idea for the placemats! I never would have thought of that. And the chair is lovely. Great job. Happy, happy Birthday. Love the mugs.

Kim said...

Wool! Did you happen to see my post about dyeing wool in a crockpot using Kool-Aid? Seriously simple and inexpensive! And I buy wool skirts and blazers at the thrift store to take apart and felt. Really, wool doesn't have to be THAT expensive. If you're interested, email me your mailing address privately, and I'll send you one of my wool class handouts that talks about how to felt wool and how to dye it. It's so much fun to work with!

Karen said...

That is a pretty place mat that you used for the little purse. A very good idea.
Gee, must be hard only having Walmart for fabric in your town. Ours does not have much fabric any more.

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

I'm hoping you'll be able to photograph her decorated apartment; I have a feeling it'll be really cute. The chairs are beautiful

Carol said...

What a cute bag for your punch needle...it's perfect. Love what you did with the chair. It's wonderful! Happy Birthday!

the canned quilter said...

Love the tote! And the chairs turned out really well. derstand the WalMart fabric dilemma. I have to drive 2 hrs to the city to find fabric stores.

Darlene said...

I love your sweet tote - placemats are perfect for a project like that. Way to go.

Chelsey's chair looks great - she's going to love what you're doing.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Wow, you just accomplished all sorts of things over the weekend! Good idea for the placemat. The chair looks great. It makes such a difference to change the seat covers. Can't wait to see what you make with the wool. (Yes, at some point you will have to stop petting it.) :)

Libby said...

Chelsea is going to have one outfitted place - what fun to be a part of putting it all together.

tami said...

I love wool applique and have a good stash from when I tried my hand at rug hooking and rug braiding a few years ago. It really doesn't have to be very expensive. Go to Goodwill or the Salvation Army (best on 50% off days) and purchase 100% wool garmets. You can take them apart and then wash them to felt the wool. I went to a wool shop that was charging a huge amount for "recycled" wool that you could just go to the thrift store and get yourself.

Calamity Jane's Cottage, Bonnie said...

I bet the table and chairs are going to look so gorgeous when they are all together. Your placemat tote turned out cute as can be.

Kim said...

Happy birthday to you! Would be fun to see the decorated apartment for sure. The chair is a very nice touch!

Greenmare said...

oh Happy Birthday! Wish I could have wished it on time! Wool is awesome isn't it? and yes, pricey. It helps a lot to pick up wool pieces at the thrift shops. I love your mugs, they are so pretty and just what I would pick too! And that pouch! tooo cute! what a great idea............... yet another project on my list, thanks!!

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Happy birthday! I always buy myself a little something - my Mom told me to do that years ago! I like your choice of mugs. This time of year the thrift shops usually mark down beautiful wool clothing to $2-4 an item. I am always on the lookout for something with lots of matching buttons (big and small)or fabric I can repurpose. We used to live near a wool mill and my Mom would buy it by the garbage bag, cut it into strips and we would braid chair rugs and small floor rugs with it. Fun! Looks like you have been as busy as ever - Chelsey's new place is going to be smashing! Cheers! Evelyn

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

I think it turned out pretty darn well, too! Good job Mum!
Love the present...belated good wishes to you! Tracey