Sunday, April 11, 2010

I'm Blushing Quilt

Not posting as often as I should, Busy living I guess. It’s like every quilt catalog and every quilt magazine I see something that Chelsey needs. It’s fun. It’s a chance at playing with fabrics and styles I don’t normally get to sew with. I believe it’s one of the reasons God gave me Chelsey.


Here’s the piece I just completed. I’ve never made anything with a jelly roll. I used a gift certificate and purchased the fabric line Blush on a jelly roll. I used muslin as the alternating fabric. I pieced the ’I’m Blushing’ quilt from the Moda Bake Shop line of free patterns. The instructions and photos made it easy.

My needle turn applique skills are not the best in the world. I wanted this piece to withstand years of machine washings and along with tugs and hugs from popcorn, movies, and late night study sessions. I tried a new way of stitching the applique. I used dryer sheets as a backing and stitched and flipped the pieces. It made the applique a breeze.

Maybe it’ll be on the quilting frame by this weekend.




OK---- when your son walks in wearing this:



What do you say??????? He got it at a relay for life event he worked at and raised $300.00 for the cause….I was just--- well a lot---surprised. But the shirt is eye catching and makes a point.. I think????



Kids…..

I cleaned up my garden for spring planting. I just let if fall by the wayside last fall, deeming that it would be someone else’s garden this spring. It looks like it’s still my garden. I really love that garden – weeds and all. It was a lot easier to rid the dead plants after a winter of rotting. It seemed like the Good Lord was just checking to see if I was willing to give it all up ---only to say, “Nahhhh, you don’t have to…”

I’ve got tulips, chives, oregano, and lavender coming up….. just another sign life goes on……

20 comments:

Gypsy Quilter said...

Love the new quilt, very Chelsea! And the shirt, well it makes a very good point. What are the statistics? 3 out of 10 women are diagnosed. 1 out of 10 dies. I can't recall the last time I read the stats, so it could have changed by now.

Enjoy your garden!

Unknown said...

Ok first that quilt turned out awesome! Secondly OMG what a sweet son! And good looking ;)

Loris said...

Beautiful quilt! Handsome sweet boy.That is quite a tshirt. Glad it did so much good! And I'm glad you don't have to move from your garden.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, funny shirt, but definitely a good way to get the point across :o) I just caught up on your last post. It is fun to help them 'decorate' their new places. I made many things for my middle daughter when she moved out.

And your quilt turned out really cute! Chelsea will love it, I am sure.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Very pretty quilt, and no - it's not in your usual style, but still a fun thing, and you learned how to do a new thing, so plus, plus. And very striking tshirt!

Carol said...

Oh the new Chelsea quilt is wonderful...it is so fun sewing for girls. Have fun in your garden!

Karen said...

The new quilt top is a good one. I like the addition of the applique. It is sort of prim style and whimsical.

Unknown said...

Love Chelsey's quilt top Mel. Are you going to do the straight line quilting on this one? Also love your boy's t-shirt, makes a very good conversation starter, and I adore that God gives us the tests and allows us pass with flying colors:))

~Marica~ said...

Beautiful quilt and I think you had done a great work with you needle turn application.

The Calico Cat said...

Forget about the T-Shirt - look at those blue eyes!

Libby said...

You've got a treasure of a quilt in your hands - it is sure to be well loved!

Joy said...

Love your quilt ... "Blush" is one of my fave fabric ranges too :o).
That's such a terrific shirt your dear Son is wearing ... certainly grabs your attention LOL.
Hugs,
Joy :o)

Greenmare said...

Love the quilt! Love the shirt! lol!! and yay you got your garden cleaned out!!! and double yay plants are coming up! we got all the flower beds cleaned out over the past week, and miss Vs hen and chicks are out already, the hostas are peeking up and the tulips and Iris are poking through so yes! spring is on it's way!

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

Very nice quilt - again! Definitely one for a young woman.

Wish you could come over and give me some garden tips. I left one from last fall, too; but it was because I was lazy :D

Anonymous said...

Hello from Argentina! I love your blog and your quilts!!!
Hugs!!!

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Your son has a great attitude to wear that shirt AND raise $300! Well done - my appt. is next week.

I've done that way of applique too and really like it - you can also use very lightweight fusable interfacing - sticky side facing right side and then when you snip and turn right side out - you can fuse the applique piece right in place and it won't shift while you are sewing it all down. I am sure Chelsea will love that new quilt and it WILL withstand many years of washing.

How wonderful for you to be able to enjoy your garden! I always feel a bit weird about leaving my plants behind everytime we move - and we always plant lots of perinneals too. But sometimes that is just the way it goes. This year we have window boxes on our city apartment balcony. Flowers always do perk up a space no matter how small!

Cheers!
Evelyn

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Angie said...

That is an adorable quilt! :) And the t-shirt is a riot---you have to admit, now, he looks really good in it. :D You asked about the bleed heart plant...we're zone 6 here and its a perennial. It dies back in the Fall. I know that some of them are really quite hardy. Check your local nurseries, catalogs and see if you can find them for your zone. :)

Chanda said...

Love your son's shirt, so funny. Bless him for raising money for such a worthy cause. I so wish we were closer so I could learn the quilting from a pro. other doesn't do it amd mom in law is passed. She was a great quilter. I have found myself starting to think about quilts and save things for quilts. It's right around the corner, just need more time. your new quilt is so beautiful and difficult looking to someone like me. I can't even really cut a striaght line in the material yet. I am gathering my supplies to help out. I now have a roller cutter, self healing mat and metal ruler. Do you use the cutting helpers that have the lines precut in them for you to follow? Just wondering how they are.

Things are looking up her, all except out friend. he is 84 and has pretty much acctepted his fate and has choosen to live out his last days at home and is doing no treatment. It's so sad. He is a jem of a human being. Hope you have a nice Sunday,
Shanda

Abbybeth said...

Other than your son's blue eyes - I noticed that the back of the shirt mentioned Ferris ... would that happen to be Ferris State University? That's where I graduated from! :)

Love the Blush quilt, that's one of the Basic Grey lines I'm in love with right now