Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Well, Now I know....


I learned the hard way…..Information you put on the internet is read by everyone not just your friends. Don is doing some consulting work but we are not moving. We’ve got high hopes of it turning into something permanent and one company wanted him permanently but, truthfully, while I believe there is good everywhere, it was a place we were for the long term not comfortable with.

All I can think of is I innocently showed someone at work a quilt, or a photo of my kids . They’ve been stalking my journal ever since. I never mind people reading. Lots of people quilt, have kids that make them scream occasionally , or just enjoy reading. That’s why we post (We're on the internet for God's sake!!!)… Never once did these people at work acknowledge to my face that they were reading my journal.

I thought it was odd the day the day my boss walked in my office, shut the door and out of the blue had said, “your circle of friends…. My circle of friends…. One common denominator--- and I would appreciate a 2 week notice before you left….” No more, no less. My boss asked for a two week notice when I left--- my response…”two weeks… I’ll give you two months notice…”

Never once did they say, “Your quilt sucks --- throw away the scissors before you hurt someone.” Or Hey – congrats on your kid,” or “ Hey – Hang in there with those kids.” Or “Cute pup picture”.– Well, they took it as an opportunity to inform my boss before I could -- ….Once moreover, started preying on my job.

When you are the breadwinner of your family (right now) you get a little sensitive about it. Every ounce of ‘Sunday School Teacher’ I had in me went out the window. I really regret how I behaved. But I have never been so hurt as to when my boss turned his laptop around to show me my weblog this person sent….and to listen to another apply for my job with me in the same room. Our family has been through a lot. And small towns don’t make it any easier.

But my neighbor said it best,

“It’s kind of like when I went through my divorce…. Many of the people you thought were good and your friends turn their backs on you. It hurts…But in the big picture, aren’t you glad you know. Would you rather go through life not knowing…”

She’s right – I could type countless stories that this small town has said about them--- But I will not.

I started to give up my journal… But the friends I’ve made outweigh the vindictiveness of these people. Let them read ---

My husband –the mature peacemaker---tries to present a fair opposition to what happened to me. But all I say… is why didn’t they come to me??? And I’d never walk out on my job without notice. My job would definitely take more than two weeks to train someone. My job has been good to my family---I owe that to it in return.

I’ll live… and be smarter for it. No comments for this post... but life happens....

4 comments:

Gloria J W said...

Dear girl....I'm not sure that I fully understand all this information...however it seems that someone has hurt you badly!! Why do people be mean to each other? It really doen't make sense, as what goes round, comes round. Personally I love reading your blog and I hope you keep it going...stick in there and don't let the turkeys get you down...
Rainbow smiles... Gloria

Jennifer said...

I've met some of the nicest people on my blog and some who don't comment but have the best blogs I've ever read - life stories that are incredible. People have heartbreak, pain, laughter, humor - we have it all - so please know - we're all out there - and we're there for you too...Jennifer

Kim said...

Mel, years and years ago, I decided to look into changing jobs because I found people in my position were making more $$ elsewhere. The only person I told that I was interviewing was my direct boss, who I considered--not exactly a friend, but someone I had a bond with and was loyal to. Within a day or two, he told management and I was reassigned--he got a new secretary and I was put into a less important position that I could fill until I left. Nothing was malicious about it, and I know he was looking out for his own interests, but I learned an interesting lesson then, and I think you probably have with this experience. Don't let it get you down though--just learn from it. As far as people reading your blog--well, I've found people read mine, and some of them are people I'd least expect. Now and then someone will say something, but most of the time, they don't. We just don't know who's reading, but I know I enjoy reading yours and hearing about your life, so don't stop!

Karen said...

Wow! Hard to understand why someone would want to cause a problem for you at the work place. I have heard that it is becoming more common for potential employers to do an internet search to find information on you. I have also heard that it can be an issue for a current job.