Monday, September 21, 2009

Summer/Fall Pinwheels

I’m still here. I got socked with a huge cold – but thanks to Nyquil and Dayquil, I am on the mend. What turned out to be an incredibly cool summer as transformed in to a really warm Fall. We’ve had a couple of frost warnings, but I’ve turned it over to fate---and the garden is still growing. Tomatoes, cucumbers, and snap beans are still getting picked daily.

I’m that quilter that is always a season behind in projects. My home is decorated in the Northwoods cabin look with evergreens and browns and rust. Perfect for the fall – but springtime and summer occasionally run short on seasonal colors.

I had intended on starting a quilt for Eric when I walked into my sewing room and decided to pull a project on the table rather than put it away. I had two packs of charm squares sitting right next to the quilt frame. Dandelion Girl- by Figtree quilts. I have a set of yellow graniteware and wanted a table cloth for the dishes. I love charm square packs--- I’ve bought several just to share. This is the first chance I’ve had at cutting them up. Yep—I’m that person that usually keeps one in her purse just to wish on.

I had been admiring pinwheel quilts. Vanessa, and Jodi have displayed different styles on their journals. I’ve been guilty of doodling patterns on legal pads when I was supposed to be paying attention to conference calls. So after research, here’s the color scheme and my first stab at pinwheels. I had read the horrors of bulky points, but Jodi gave a tutorial on the Moda bake shop and I decided that would be the way to go.

I’ll finish with 81 pinwheels -- each pinwheel measuring four inches in width. Muslin is the alternating color. I’ve been on a kick with Muslin. I even have a backup plan that if the quilt is too bright for my kitchen I could tea-dye it to blend. Hopefully I’ll get to work on it tonight.

My yard needs mowing – but it is raining today – I think the good Lord is demanding I quilt instead. I have a friend coming over for supper tomorrow night. I want to show her my progress.

Gratitudes:
Camp Road
The Good side of Rainy Days and Mondays
Wintergreen TicTacs

13 comments:

Karen said...

You got some sewing time in! I have made pinwheel blocks with Fig Tree fabrics, too. Only I added the circle of fabric around them like the Fig Tree pattern Prairie Sweets. Pinwheel blocks are fun to sew.

Unknown said...

Such sweet pinwheels Melanie, and good for you for trying a new block. I'm sure it will be just perfect for your kitchen. Glad you got some quality stitching time in during your weekend.

Darlene said...

Sewing and enjoying - I've long admired the pinwheels on those blogs, as well.

Anonymous said...

Very pretty fabrics and very pretty pinwheels. That is going to be lovely! It was soooo warm here too for that few weeks, but the last few days a cool spell has kicked in again. We are glad for that and are of those strange people that love to see summer go and fall come in :o)

Cornbread and Beans Quilting said...

Your new project looks yummy!! It will be beautiful with your yellow dishes! I am glad you are listening when God says you must quilt!! hahaha

MARCIE said...

Look at it this way, you are way ahead for next spring! I love pinwheels and yours will be delightful!

Libby said...

Hope you are feeling better - being under the weather is no fun . . . . unless you can tuck yourself in the sewing room and have a little fun *s* Vitamin C, lots of fluid and plenty of stitchin' - I'm pretty sure that's what the doc ordered.

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

Love a pinwheel quilt; yours will be great. Again, you have picked beautiful fabrics.

Anonymous said...

By today...hope your better. I'm enjoying visiting your blog.

Carole said...

I love pinwheels! I have a pattern that I will be starting soon by Miss Rosie! Pinwheels are so cheerful! Cheers!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

That is going to be SO pretty! Can't wait to see it. It's always fun to start something completely new, isn't it?

Gen said...

love the pinwheel blocks :)

Marie said...

Your pinwheel blocks look wonderful!