Monday, September 07, 2009

Labor Day 2009

It’s Labor Day --- A long weekend was appreciated. Our leaves are starting to turn. Here are the maple leaves from the front porch. A fluorescent orange…. It seems like the trees change every year… which ones change color first, their shades of yellow and orange.

I’m grilling pork ribs for Chelsey and friend who came home yesterday. I’ve never done them before… always had Don to do it, so this should be interesting.
The pumpkins are beginning to turn orange. These are Baby Bear pumpkins.

I give them regular pep talks about growing to their full potential and getting the color game going.
All twenty blocks for my Harvest Home quilt are complete. The wind get blowing leaves on the blocks--- so I decided they were meant to be there... I have to square them up and attach the borders. The inner borders will be Muslin. The outer borders, I‘m thinking, will be six-inch in width and will be a selection of the Blackbird Designs Harvest Home fabric line. It just depends on what I can get. I’m saving up for fabric.

A long weekend – I made it that full week back to work. I definitely don’t have as much free time in the evenings. My Sunday school class got all new bulletin boards for Fall. We now have a “Pumpkin Patch” of Bible verses.

I’m definitely tired of being angry and sad over the entire job loss thing for Don. It’s wasted energy and I don’t want to look back and say I missed out on life being angry over something I have no control over.

Things happen for a reason….Life goes on.

11 comments:

Stina Blomgren said...

The Maple leaves have a wondeful shade of orange...beautiful tree... :o) Autumn in Sweden too.. and I dont like it... the birds are moving away... getting prepared for winter...
Your blocks lokks just wonderful with the leaves on them..:o))
And yes you are so right.. turn your energy to something more fun than being angry!! Take care!!

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

Good attitude! Hang in there.

Carol said...

Those maple trees are just beautiful...oh I love your blocks. Mel, you're so right...anger uses up so much energy...You take care!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Such beautiful colors. The leaves look wonderful on your blogs. I'm glad you are able to turn your energies towards positive things. Take care.

julieQ said...

Wow, your leaves are already changing! Gorgeous! I am so sorry for your situation...I am proud of you for going for the positive feelings...good for you! Tough, though, sometimes.

Karen said...

It is hard to believe that your trees are already changing color!

Mrs. Sew and Sew - Karen said...

The maple leaves are beautiful.I love the colors of your blocks. I can't wait till I see the finished quilt. No pressure....just love your work! I bet your pork ribs were better than my beef bisket....lol! Have a good week! Karen

Lorraine said...

what a wonderful tree....and I love your blocks with the leaves on them....autumn is such a wonderful time of the year.....and hang in there - you are so right....anger uses up way too much energy....thinking of you and hoping things turn around soon....

Juliann said...

The leaves on your quilt blocks are lovely.
This adjustment season that you are in now is with you for a reason. It seems like you have the ability to count your blessings even in times of trouble. Be kind to yourself.

Brenda said...

Love the quilt blocks and I can't wait to see the end result. Your trees always look so beautiful this time of year.

My DH just lost his job in a really bad turn of events. Like you, I've come to the conclusion that it's not worth being angry over. He's actually much happier and relieved that he can move on & be away from a bad situation. He will be deployed in January and this gives him a chance to spend time with our kiddos before he leaves. Gotta find a silver lining somewhere, right?

Gloria J W said...

Hello....helllo....where are yo??? I keep looking and you're not there? Is everything OK? Rainbow smiles...Gloria