Sunday, October 11, 2015

Borders

I was ready to move onto the borders for Sunflower Gatherings.  I hadn't read ahead much.  Figured on cutting four lengths and beginning the last of the wool applique. I opened up the last package.

I purchased my kit directly from Primitive gatherings.  They are always good at giving generous portions as well as cutting tips when pattern pieces are tight.


I looked inside.  It's a pieced border. several  pieces to be sewn together.  It's really going to add to the quilt.  I guess I better get that sewing machine threaded, right?

Glue Sticks-- I baste my wool applique using Elmer's glue sticks.  I struggle with the steam -a-seam.  I've even taken a class directly from Lisa Bongean and I still struggle at making the pieces stick.  I end up losing pieces or the minute I start stitching that peel up.  The glue stick mounts the pieces well and has no impact on hand applique or machine quilting later.

6 comments:

Linda said...

I am totally 'Steam-a-seam impaired. ' Elmer's glue stick has never failed me. Glue stick girls unite!

Linda said...

I am totally 'Steam-a-seam impaired. ' Elmer's glue stick has never failed me. Glue stick girls unite!

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

Ugh - pieced borders. Sewing pieced borders and attaching a binding are the two projects I detest the most. This border will be great for this quilt, but I sure don't envy you. lol!!!

Val said...

Wow. This makes me in the quilting mood! Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog about me coming back! You made my day!

Carole said...

I struggled with Seam a Steam. I couldn't figure out why people love it so much. Now I use Heat n Bond feather lite. It has no stiffness to it, it needles beautifully (hardly notice it's there - with SAS my fingers would be hurting from the stitching) and it's easier to trace on. I only use it when I work with cotton and wool. Wool on wool, I will not use any adhesive and pin my pieces. Try it, you might like it better. With the fusible, I will also iron from the back. It seems to work wonders at keeping my pieces glued. Hope this helps. Cheers!

Carole said...

Hadn't noticed the date on your post. I do hope all is well!