Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Back to Work

OK—I didn’t post every day last week, but I did have a really good week. Lots of good memories. I went to Green Bay alone for the day. I stopped at a Quilt shop in Crivitz Wisconsin and treated myself to this charm pack from Kansas Trouble quilters. Great colors. I must have tried on 20 dresses and found two for keepers. Can’t wear them to work, but there is always Sunday church services. In the winter, you dress for warmth and the weather, but dresses are nice for the summer. I had lunch and came home.
Here was my weekend project – My new old bike. I found the bicycle at a city wide garage sale with a sign that said ‘free’. I should have photographed the before photo. A spray can of primer and one of flat ivory paint I have y new treasure. It had no basket, so I hit a bicycle grave yard and found it for three bucks. It’s still a work in progress – I hope to add more baskets and next year I’ll fill the basket with moss and soil for the flowers. But it’s a great first year start. Don is even sold on it. He disassembled the bicycle for easier painting. I transplanted black-eyed- Susan’s to grow in front of the wheels.

Sunday morning Ransom treed this fellow up a tree four feet from the Covered Porch around back. He was a small guy---Don figured about 150 pounds. It was amazing. I’ve seen them in the road, I’ve seen the droppings in the woods, but in 20 years—this is the first bear I’ve ever seen “Up Close and Personal”. He climbed over 25 feet to rest in that tree. Ransom had him treed. To protect him, we dragged in inside – But it was amazing and frightening at the same time to see the animal in the wild…. A memory.
I’m back at work this week – grateful for my job. It’s different; my friend Lora has a new job. I’m one of two girls in the house now.
Until tomorrow---

21 comments:

Tazzie said...

Sounds like you've had a wonderfully busy week, and I'm glad you're happy to go back to work.
How exciting to see the bear right in your back yard, I would have been scared out of my mind ... but a bear in my yard would be very strange indeed ...
Have a great week
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Pat said...

I am glad that you had a good week. I love your bike. It looks nice next to your fence. That bear is just a little toooooo close for me. I hope you have a great week!

sewprimitive karen said...

You made that bicycle just wonderful. And that's an amazing picture of the bear. How long did he stay up there?

Deb said...

Your bike is fabulous. Its is going to look really beautiful surrounded by the flowers

CJ said...

Ya mean you aren't going to RIDE that bike??? LOL! But it is so cute! Love the bear in the tree. I bet he appreciated that you took the dog into the house. Isn't it fun to see wild animals? I think so anyway.

Karen said...

Too close for my comfort!

QuiltNut Creations said...

Kansas Winter?? oh yum!

love the bike!

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

Love the bike and the flowers!

Carol said...

OMG I love your bike!!!!!!!!!!!OMG that bear is absolutely amazing. Can't even imagine what my boys would have done if they'd seen him. LOL!

Libby said...

I think you made the most of your week . . . . nothing makes a girl feel prettier than a new dress *s*

Maybe that's the way the garden feels with the new bike. What a great idea. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for the same - just too sweet.

The Retired One said...

We drive through tiny Crivitz often on our way to my daughter's house in Kenosha!
That bike reminds me of the witch's bike from the Wizard of Oz.
Green Bay is a nice place to shop, too. I like Appleton a little more as I like the Fox River Valley Mall better than Green Bay's malls....

Unknown said...

I just love the bike Melanie, how creative of you. My heart jumped into my mouth when I swa the bear up the tree, I can't imagine living so close to them. Snakes and spiders I can handle, but bears, oh my.

Juliann said...

I am glad you had a good week. But back to work you go. Try to keep some time for yourself!

julieQ said...

Very fun old bike, I love what you have done with the flowers in the basket. I am happy the bear ran and climbed away, and did not come at you!

Andrea - Under a Blue Moon said...

Gorgeous photo of your bike. I think I would have a heart attack if there was a bear in my tree.

Mrs Quilty said...

What a fun reviving calming time to yourself!!! And you included the best things, a quilt store, a new bike, and relaxation all to yourself!! What a great idea!
That bike is great! What a find!
I would be scared if a bear was in my backyard but that's a great pic! Wonder where his MAMA is!
Enjoy your week!

deb said...

the bike is amazing, LOVE it, and wow, a bear in your tree....what a trip!

Marie said...

Love the bike! That is so neat!

Flat Creek Farm said...

I wandered over here from somewhere, but glad I did! Bike is gorgeous... very creative! Now the bear... I've always wanted to see a bear in the wild, just not in 'MY' wild :) - nice blog! - Tammy

Gypsy Quilter said...

Really love that bike. Poor bear. He must have been very hungry to come so close to the house.

Claudia said...

I love your old "new" bike! What a great deal. The bear in the tree is amazing! A couple of years ago here, my husband was in the bathroom and he quietly said, "Come here, quickly." I looked out the window and I saw a black bear cub walking through the yard behind our house. Beautiful, but frightening, because you know Momma was close by. Haven't seen one since!