Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Billy's Shirts


The baby quilt was pieced and quilted and sent on his way.  Made entirely of a friend's son's shirts who was a volunteer fireman.  He was to be Uncle Billy to a new generation of Pestor babies.  Taken suddenly with congestive heart failure at 30 years old.  My friend brought me shirts and said, " just make something-- you choose." The fire trucks seemed appropriate, they were a $2.50 download from Etsy.  The other blocks were just pictures found on Pinterest.

I started the quilt on Mother's day, kind of 'teary' while cutting out each block.  I can't imagine what my friend must be going through losing a son.  I finished it on Father's Day.  They back was made from Navy and white gingham.

A good memory --- and I can definitely say a quilt brightened a very sad story.

8 comments:

Karen said...

What a wonderful memory quilt. The fire truck theme a perfect choice. I am getting teary just reading your post.

Marie said...

That is a beautiful memory quilt. You did an outstanding job honoring him and what precious stories they can tell the baby about his special uncle. I love your work.
Hugs, Marie

Gypsy Quilter said...

What a wonderful gift, and a wonderful tribute. Love your pattern choice. Thanks for sharing.

Loris said...

The quilt you made is beautiful and full of love for this young man. It will be a cherished gift.

Lori @ Back Porch Ramblings said...

Such an incredible tribute and a sweet way to welcome a new baby!

Unknown said...

Such an adorable quilt!!! I'm sure the joy your gift brings will be immeasurable!!!

Carole said...

What a lovely quilt, filled with memory and love!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

The quilt is fabulous, and such a tribute for someone to have a memory quilt of a person who will be their guardian angel.