Saturday, April 30, 2011

Hop to it Block Two

I’m running behind….story of my life. Here’s my block for April that is for our Hop to it Project.

 Mary and Sue’s blocks turned out great. I’ve had mine complete for about three weeks--- yet I’m the last to post. The yellow buds represent my perennials in my garden. The original blocks from Edyta Sitar’s quilt has them in blue. I want each block to represent something in garden so mine varied to yellow. One of the great things about using the hand-dyed wool for this project is the variations in the colors of the leaves.


We doubled our snowfall data in the month of April. And yet 4 days after the last snowstorm bits of green showed up. My journal logs the snow in the garden.





These snapshots were taken early this morning--- the last day of April. Last Sunday I got out in the garden for the first time to check the herbs and see if my blueberry bushes made it. The chives are about 2 inches tall. And this is a photo of new growth on my blue berries--- they survived the winter.

The Bleeding- Hearts are popping up and the Enchinea and Saliva have green sprouting leaves. I know some places already have ripe strawberries and tomatoes, but where I live I’m thrill over any sign of green.


My dad fell and broke his hip last Saturday afternoon. I’m the daughter that lives too far away to go home. I’ve called about a million times and sent cards and letters, but felt lousy that I couldn’t be there. I don’t know whether I’m trying to convince you or myself that it’s ok that I’m not there… but in the end—it’s not about me, it’s about him and he’s ok and getting better every day.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the journal that you are keeping. What a wonderful idea! I am sorry to hear about your dad's hip. I am sure he knows you are thinking of him and understands, but it is still hard to be away.

Karen said...

I saw your two cohorts blocks this morning and was wondering if yours was to come yet today. It is good that you have two friends willing to work along with you on the project. Sharing like that is a treat.

I like the way you have done your journal. I don't know why I don't do the same type thing. I guess I figure that I don't have much of anything to write down.

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

Sorry about your dad! I understand the helpless feeling; don't beat yourself up over it.

Your block is great, and I love that you are making each one to represent your own garden! Why don't I think like that?!

Nice job as usual.

Gypsy Quilter said...

Woo hoo, no more snow for you! And the garden will be in full bloom before you know it!

Carrie P. said...

YOur block turned out so lovely. Great entries in your journal.
Hope your dad has a speedy recovery.

Libby said...

We do have ripe berries. It does feel so right - to me. But remember when they are just a distant memory in my neck of the woods you will be enjoying their sweet delicious goodness. All things in their time *s*

McIrish Annie said...

HOw fun to be doing a project with friends!

My yard is about the same, maybe a bit greener, but spring is here!

Sorry to hear about your dad. Hope he mends quickly.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Isn't it fun that you can personalize your quilt blocks to reflect you! I like your garden journal, too. I've kept them before and always enjoy going back and comparing this year to the previous years. And I know exactly how you feel about that first bit of growth. Even though ours starts a LOT earlier than yours I still welcome the start of Spring each year with everything in me. Enjoy yours!